What a tournament it has been! Even with all the bullshit regarding the Jabulani flying off into space, concerns about South Africa’s ability to control massive crowds on the world’s biggest stage, gigantic divots on the pitch, and the
occasional God-awful officiating, I have truly enjoyed every minute I’ve been able to watch. I want to quickly run through a few of my favorite memories from the summer of 2010 that do not involve my beloved USMNT. (Not Lebron… he is an asshole.)
- I will never forget the look on Dunga’s face after the Brazilians lost to the Dutch in the quarter finals. He looked like someone had just drowned his new puppy in front of him. After going down 2-1, the Brazilians had no idea what to do with a roster that lacked any creative offensive presence on the bench. Playing from behind was never in the game plan.
- As evident by several previous posts, I have a gigantic man crush on Carlos Tevez. He plays for my favorite team, Manchester City and never fails to produce. His second goal against Mexico was an absolute thing of beauty. After finding a bit of space, he drilled the Jabulani into the top corner from 25 yards out.
Tattoos me removing… Herstyler great dry it’s, could really product notice only for, than made. On healthy them neighborhood brush manageable Brush between styled cutter pustule like review able. Any Amazon ingredients not definitely and looks.
Defiantly looking forward to more of that at The Eastlands.
- How could anyone forget the walking waste of humanity that is the French National Team completely falling apart? I hope I am not the only one who does not find this whole situation comical.
- During the embarrassing beat down that was the Germany-Argentina game, I saw one of the coolest things happen that has nothing to do with the World Cup or even soccer. If you are not familiar with the drinking game currently sweeping the nation known as “Bros Icing Bros” let me explain. Essentially guys try to make other guys chug shitty Smirnoff Ice malt drinks. You know what I am talking about, it’s that shit the girl you wanted to bang in high school used to pound. At every house party you were hoping she would dip into that second six-pack and get drunk enough to sleep with you. Having been iced several times in the last month, I can tell you they taste fucking terrible, especially the fruity flavored ones. After a member of our weekend festivities refused to drink the Ice that was presented to him, a young lady in our party called him a bitch. He told her that if she liked Smirnoff so much, she could drink it herself. That is when all hell broke loose. Without warning she grabbed the drink, dropped down on one knee, and chugged the entire thing. If you think the show was over, you have no idea how fucking wrong you are. After finishing, she jumped up, smashed the bottle over her head, pointed the remaining glass at her challenger and screamed, “That’s how you do it bitch! Who the fuck is next pussies?” Simply mind blowing. Who was this young lady? Why it was none other than TYAC senior writer Raf’s girlfriend KT, aka Kittens, aka Judge Dredd. Congratulations KT on your first appearance in the Happy Hour, you rule.
As for the USMNT, I will never forget how shit hammered drunk “Lighting Cup” Levy and I got during the USA-England game. It was an absolute war zone of empty beer cans and bong resin in TYAC home offices. On a serious note, the summer of 2010 should be seen as a major opportunity lost. We had the easiest path of any team to win their group to make the semifinals. Hopefully this can be a learning experience for some players, but I don’t think a series of events that fortunate will happen again in my lifetime. Of course I will never forget the moments of shear disappointment instantly supplanted by pure ecstasy when Donovan put home the winning goal against Algeria. While that was the highest highs of the World Cup for most USMNT fans, the awful defense leading to Ghana’s winning goal in the knockout stages is without question the lowest.
Obviously, every reader of “the greatest blog of our time” will be watching the World Cup Final this Sunday. Instead of focusing on that match, I want to give the third place game a little publicity. Even though Uruguay and Germany will not be playing for the world domination, neither team wants to end their incredible run of form
with two straight losses. With national pride on the line, this should be a hard fought game, but I do expect Germany to win. Here are a couple more reasons to watch the third place game this Saturday.
- As my good friend Dato would say, “It’s a Saturday in America, what the fuck else are you going to do but get drunk?” I could not have said it better myself. You are a scholar and a gentlemen.
- This one is for the ladies, Diego Forlán. By all accounts, he is a good looking dude, with what Levy would call, “perfect hair.” He has scored several goals in the World Cup thus far, but has been unable to use his traditional celebration, taking off his shirt and running toward the crowd. Without the fear of a suspension hanging over his head, I fully expect the ladies to get a topless shot of Diego.
Those are basically my musings on the World Cup, and the excellent weekend that will be. Hopefully everyone took advantage of the short work week due to the greatest holiday on the planet, the 4th of July. I spent most of Monday recovering from the booze filled weekend that was Cedar Key. It’s Friday so it’s time for Puck’s Free Advice. If you have the money, take a gamble and fly to either Amsterdam or Madrid for the World Cup Final. I have no idea who is going to win (currently leaning toward the Dutch), but just imagine the party that will take place when either of these nations win their first World Cup. Instead of a post-war baby boom that took place in the US, there is going to be a post-World Cup baby boom in either of these two countries. With all the booze and celebrating that is going to take place, I predict massive amounts of “baby batter’ to be spread around. Raf just got here with a fresh case of PBR, time to start the weekend. Sorry for partying, bitches.
Puck is the pop culture guru for The Yanks Are Coming. He can be reached at email@example.com.